Home  >  Mini Albums  >  The aviary

The aviary

In January 2010 we decided to finally build the aviary I had been wanting to build since I got the birds over a year earlier. We used untreated pine, because treated wood can be harmful if they eat it. In hindsight going with hardwood would have been a good idea. I was told I needed baby safe paint, but I couldn't find that anywhere, and then Google revealed that the paint only needs to be heavy metal free, so any waterbased exterior paint will do. The measurements are 1400 x 1500 x 1800.

click to view this full size
 Digging out the corner for the concrete....
click to view this full size
 Finally finished digging....
click to view this full size
 We put the wood in place to hold the concrete...
click to view this full size
 Started mixing bags of concrete in a wheelbar...
click to view this full size
 Turns out we miscalculated thoroughly, so we ...
click to view this full size
 Roger's dad found a company called Concrete T...
click to view this full size
 Roger helped me with the concrete, because he...
click to view this full size
 Doing the concrete....
click to view this full size
 Finishing off the concrete....
click to view this full size
 From start to finish the concrete took about ...
click to view this full size
 R did the edges and texture, and it looks nic...
click to view this full size
 R did this. Awwww:)...
click to view this full size
 Painting the wood. We had to use untreated wo...
click to view this full size
 Putting the support frames together. The avia...
click to view this full size
 The bottom corner....
click to view this full size
 Part of the frame. I knew the measurements, b...
click to view this full size
 Another view of the unfinished frame....
click to view this full size
 The little door being put together....
click to view this full size
 The door again.
click to view this full size
 The completed frame with the door on it....
click to view this full size
 Putting the mesh on the frame. For some reaso...
click to view this full size
 R made a tool for stretching the mesh tight a...
(1 comment)
click to view this full size
 Cutting the mesh so that the top and bottom h...
click to view this full size
 Painting the wood for the roof of the aviary....
click to view this full size
 Plastic sheets we got for the back, to give t...
click to view this full size
 Joining the mesh in the middle by nailing it ...
click to view this full size
 
click to view this full size
 Touching up some paint that was damaged durin...
(1 comment)
click to view this full size
 Metal sheets for the roof. R spray painted th...
click to view this full size
 Finished! They came out very shiny....
click to view this full size
 R did the latch for the door. Looks pretty....
(1 comment)
click to view this full size
 It's finished! All that is left to do is to p...
click to view this full size
 Scrubbing the mesh....
click to view this full size
 In place on the concrete, with the bird cage ...
click to view this full size
 Food and water bowl, also shows branches and ...
click to view this full size
 They didn't come out the first night, so we c...
click to view this full size
 But they quickly settled in and the highest b...